Now Playing
HOT 105!
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Old School

news

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Pacific Ocean

An Indonesian teenager survived 49 days adrift in the Pacific Ocean on a timber hut, surviving a 1,676-mile trip on limited supplies and a blue Bible, The Guardian reported.

>> Read more trending news 

In mid-July, Aldi Novel Adilang, 19, was working as a lamp keeper on a floating fish trap -- known as a rompong -- anchored 80 miles off the coast of North Sulawesi. Strong winds dislodged his anchor and sent his hut drifting aimlessly for seven weeks, according to 9 News Australia.

Aldi was rescued Aug. 31 when MV Arpeggio, a vessel from Panama, rescued him near Guam, the Jakarta Post reported. Ten ships had sailed past the teen, failing to see him as he waved for help, the newspaper reported.

“Every time he saw a large ship, he said he was hopeful, but more than 10 ships had sailed past him, none of them stopped or saw Aldi,” Indonesian Fajar Firdaus told the Post.

Aldi said he had only a few days worth of supplies when his boat swept out to the open ocean. He survived by catching fish and burning wood from his hut to cook them. He drank seawater through his clothes to minimize the salt, the Post reported. He also read from his blue Bible, The Guardian reported.

When he spotted the Arpeggio, Aldi waved a cloth, but when the ship did not acknowledge him he sent an emergency radio signal, The Guardian reported.

Because the boat was headed to Japan, Aldi was taken there first and arrived on Sept. 6. After a day of being quarantined, Aldi flew from Osaka, Japan, to Jarkarta. He arrived in Wori, Manado, and was reunited with his family on Sept. 8, the Post reported.

“Aldi’s story is indeed dramatic, and we are thankful to all -- the ship’s captain and the Japanese authorities -- that have been very helpful in ensuring Aldi’s return, Mirza Nurhidaya, the Indonesian consul general in Osaka, told the Post.

What You Need To Know: Brett Kavanaugh Accuser Deborah Ramirez

What You Need To Know: Brett Kavanaugh Accuser Deborah Ramirez

Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein resigns, reports say

Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has resigned, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Axios reported Monday morning that Rosenstein "verbally resigned" to Chief of Staff John Kelly in the wake of reports that claimed he discussed trying to remove President Donald Trump from office using the 25th Amendment and that he floated the idea of secretly recording the president.

>> Rod Rosenstein proposed invoking 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office, reports say

An unidentified source told Bloomberg News that the White House accepted Rosenstein’s resignation Monday.

White House officials did not immediately confirm the reports.

The Associated Press reported that Rosenstein was expecting to be fired after The New York Times reported Friday that he spoke to Justice Department and FBI officials about secretly recording Trump and recruiting cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove him from office shortly after the May 2017 firing of then-FBI director James Comey.

>> What is the 25th Amendment and how does it work?

In the aftermath of Comey’s firing, Rosenstein became frustrated by Trump’s use of a memo he wrote in justifying Comey’s dismissal, according to the Times. The three-page memo was critical of Comey’s handling of the investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while in office.

>> Who is James Comey? Things to know about the former FBI director

“Rosenstein began telling associates that he would ultimately be ‘vindicated’ for his role in the matter” shortly after the FBI director’s dismissal, the Times reported.

Rosenstein said in statement released last week that the Times report was “inaccurate and factually incorrect.”

Rosenstein is the top Justice Department official overseeing Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and its possible ties to Trump and Trump campaign officials.

>> More on Robert Mueller's investigation

Rosenstein took charge of the investigation in March 2017 after Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself under pressure over his own contacts with Russian officials.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Police investigate after baby found crawling across street

Police and child protective services are investigating after an infant was found Saturday crawling across a street.

>> Read more trending news  

Cory Cannon was driving to work around 6 p.m. when he stopped traffic to help a neighbor return the child to his home, the Star-Ledger reported.

Police told the Star-Ledger that the child might have crawled out of a door left open by an older sibling. The family was unaware the baby was missing until he was returned.

Bill Cosby faces sentencing after sex assault conviction

Comedian Bill Cosby arrived Monday morning at a suburban Philadelphia courthouse for the start of a two-day sentencing hearing after a jury found him guilty earlier this year of drugging and molesting a onetime friend in 2004.

>> Read more trending news

Cosby, 81, could spend the rest of his life behind bars. He is facing as many as 30 years in prison, although state guidelines for someone like Cosby, who does not have any prior convictions, call for between one and four years in prison.

The sentencing hearing will begin with testimony about Cosby's sex offender evaluation and whether he should be deemed a sexually violent predator. That would make him subject to lifetime counseling and community notification.

Related: Bill Cosby found guilty in sexual assault trial

A jury found Cosby guilty in April 2018 of drugging and molesting onetime friend Andrea Constand in 2004. Constand was in court Monday for Cosby’s sentencing hearing.

Cosby was convicted on three counts of aggravated indecent assault, making his the first conviction of a celebrity accused of sexual misconduct in the #MeToo era.

Related: Camille Cosby says ‘mob justice, not real justice’ led to Bill Cosby's sexual assault conviction

The guilty verdict came less than a year after another jury deadlocked on the same charges. 

Jurors deliberated for more than 52 hours over six days in June 2017, but they couldn’t reach a unanimous decision on whether Cosby drugged and molested Constand at his suburban Philadelphia home, The Associated Press reported.

Cosby maintained that he and Constand shared a consensual sexual encounter. Cosby's attorney said Constand was a "con artist" who leveled false accusations against the comedian so that she could sue him.

Dozens of women have made high-profile accusations that Cosby had drugged and assaulted them, but Constand’s case was the only one to result in criminal charges against Cosby. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Holy Guacamole! 200-pound turtle to be released after treatment at Florida zoo

Florida's Brevard Zoo will release a 200-pound sea turtle named “Guacamole” into the ocean Monday.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

The green sea turtle was found in February at Lori Wilson Park in Cocoa Beach. Guacamole had several cuts and was missing most of one of her flippers.

She was treated at the Brevard Zoo for seven months.

>> Read more trending news 

The zoo’s website said Guacamole is the first adult green sea turtle zoo employees have released.

Visitors can attend the release at 3 p.m. at Lori Wilson Park. Zoo officials said attendees are encouraged to wear green to show their support.

Texas school district closed after threat posted on social media

Schools in a Texas school district were closed Monday because of a threat made on social media, the Houston Chronicle reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Officials in the Columbus Independent School District, located west of Houston, received word of a threat just before midnight, school authorities said in a message on the district’s website. 

"Columbus ISD takes the safety of our students and employees very seriously and it is our top priority," the message said. "This situation has been turned over to the local law enforcement authorities, and Columbus ISD will continue to cooperate with our local authorities. It is the hope of the Columbus Independent School District, that the person who made the threat is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Authorities have not said what kind of threat was made or which social media platform was used to convey it, KHOU reported.

Boy, 7, selling candy on subway, dies after falling onto tracks

A 7-year-old boy selling candy on a subway train Sunday died after he fell onto the tracks when he tried to walk between train cars.

>> Read more trending news 

The boy, who has not been identified, was selling candy with his 11-year-old brother and a 26-year-old man, WCAU reported.

"He dropped all his candy all over the place inside the train, as he picked the candy up he went through the doors to go through the next train," Douglas Spencer told WPVI. "There were people crying, people that wanted to help him, but there wasn't much they could do besides jump down."

The train operator stopped the train when he learned of the incident. 

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority is investigating.

Blue Bell brings back Spiced Pumpkin Pecan ice cream for fall

Blue Bell is getting in on the spiced pumpkin obsession with the return of a seasonal flavor.

>> Read more trending news 

The Brenham, Texas, -based company announced its Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Ice Cream will be back in stores Monday.

“Spiced Pumpkin Pecan is a delightful spiced pumpkin ice cream combined with tasty sugar-coated pecans and a rich cinnamon-honey-praline sauce,” the company said on its Twitter page Monday.

Related video: Cool Things You Didn't Know About Ice Cream

Argument over Bruno Mars song leads to assault, arrest

Blame it on his confidence.

>> Read more trending news 

An Indiana man was arrested for battery and criminal recklessness after a dispute over a Bruno Mars song, WXIN reported.

Roger Washburn, 71, is charged with hitting a friend in the face with a pistol, the television station reported. The gun discharged during the argument but no one was hurt, police said.

According to a report from the Johnson County Sheriff’s Department, late Friday night Washburn and two friends began arguing over whether a certain song was performed by Mars. One man, who told police that they have all been friends for 50 years, said he told Washburn the song was performed by Mars and that Washburn disagreed, the Indianapolis Star reported.

The argument escalated after the victim proved the song was indeed a Mars number. The man told police Washburn then pulled out a .38 revolver and hit him in the forearm and right cheek, WXIN reported, causing the revolver to discharge.

It was unclear what song was being debated.

The victim left and reported the incident several hours later, the television station reported.

According to the police report, the victim had “a small gouge on his right cheek, blood on his pants, shirt and a red abrasion on his right forearm.” 

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!