Now Playing
HOT 105!
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Old School
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
HOT 105!
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Old School

world govt & politics

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Rouhani wins re-election as Iran’s president

According to state television, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has won re-election, CNN reported Saturday. Rouhani defeated conservative challenger Ebrahim Raisi.

>> Read more trending news 

"The National Media (IRINN) congratulate the victory of Mr. Hassan Rouhani in the presidential election," Iranian state media channel IRINN announced in an on-screen news ticker.

Rouhani won 57 percent of the vote, or 23,549, 616 votes, Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said.

Rouhani, a moderate, was a key architect of the 2015 nuclear deal with the United States, the European Union and other partners and his first term was marked by an emergent international engagement.

More than 40 million Iranian voters flocked to polling stations Friday, and by Saturday morning more than 25 million votes had been counted, according to the head of Iran's Interior Ministry State Elections Committee.

No sitting President has failed to win a second term since 1981 and Rouhani's engagement with the outside world resonated with voters who have disliked the country's isolation., CNN reported.

Trump responds to reports that he revealed classified info to Russia

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday morning to respond to reports that he revealed classified information during a recent meeting with Russian officials.

>> WaPost: Trump revealed classified information to Russia during recent meeting

"As President I wanted to share with Russia (at an openly scheduled W.H. meeting) which I have the absolute right to do, facts pertaining to terrorism and airline flight safety," Trump wrote. "Humanitarian reasons, plus I want Russia to greatly step up their fight against ISIS & terrorism."

Poll: Most Americans want special prosecutor for Russia investigation

A majority of Americans think a special prosecutor would be best suited to investigate Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and possible connections to the campaign of President Donald Trump, according to a poll released Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

The NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, conducted in the days after Trump’s abrupt dismissal of FBI director James Comey, surveyed 800 men and women between May 11 and May 13. Of those interviewed, 40 percent identified themselves as voters who cast ballots for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton last year while 37 percent said they voted for Trump.

An overwhelming majority of the people polled – 78 percent – said they wanted to see a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Russian meddling in November’s election.

>> Related: What is a special prosecutor; who appoints one; what do they do?

Federal officials have said there is evidence that Russia influenced the presidential election in support of Trump, although it remains unclear whether the president or his staff worked with foreign agents to win the election. Authorities have said there is no evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia.

The FBI and several other groups and congressional committees have confirmed that they are investigating the situation. Trump said last week in an interview with NBC News that the investigation was on his mind when he decided to fire Comey on Tuesday, prompting lawmakers to call for a special prosecutor.

In the NBC News/WSJ poll, 15 percent of respondents said Congress would be best positioned to investigate Russian interference. Three percent said neither Congress nor a special prosecutor would serve best, while 4 percent said they were not sure.

>> Related: Who will be the next FBI director? Here’s a list of candidates

The responses echo those given to researchers last month in a related poll cited by researchers in the poll released Sunday. In April, 73 percent of respondents said an independent, nonpartisan commission should lead the Russia probe. Sixteen percent of those surveyed preferred Congress to head the investigation.

Prince William: 'Nobody should be bullied for their sexuality'

Prince William offered a message of support for the LGBT community Friday evening at the British LGBT Awards.

>> Read more trending news

The Duke of Cambridge, who was named "straight ally of the year" for the British lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities, spoke via a video message, according to the BBC. In the brief video, he talks about how he's become passionate about "protecting from bullying, particularly online." He said he's "encountered a number of tragic stories about LGBT young people who have sadly felt unable to cope with the abuse and discrimination they face in their lives."

Prince William concluded: "It is 2017, and nobody should be bullied for their sexuality, or for any other reason."

Louvre courtyard briefly evacuated 

The courtyard of the Louvre in Paris, where French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron was due to speak later Sunday, was briefly evacuated after a suspicious bag was found, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

Paris police said they made security checks in the area of the museum as a precaution and later added that the situation there had returned to normal.

Macron, who is favored to defeat the far right National Front candidate Marine Le Pen in an election for president on Sunday, is due to address his supporters at the grounds of the Louvre in the evening after results are posted.

Macron campaign claims hack attack on eve of runoff in France

French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron's campaign claimed Friday it had been the target of a "massive" computer hack that dumped its campaign emails online two days before Sunday’s presidential runoff, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

voters choose between the centrist and his far-right rival, Marine Le Pen.

Macron, who is seen as the front-runner against far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in what analysts are billing as the most important election in France in decades, extended his lead over in Friday’s polls.

As much as nine gigabytes of data were posted on a profile called EMLEAKS to Pastebin, a site that allows anonymous document sharing. It was not immediately clear who was responsible for posting the data or if any of it was genuine, Reuters reported.

In a statement, Macron's political movement confirmed that it had been hacked.

"The En Marche! Movement has been the victim of a massive and coordinated hack this evening which has given rise to the diffusion on social media of various internal information," the statement said.

A campaign blackout starting minutes after the Macron team announcement at midnight Friday means that Le Pen's campaign can't legally comment on the leak, Fox News reported. An interior minister also declined to comment, citing French rules that forbid any commentary liable to influence an election, Reuters reported. The ban remains in place until the polls close Sunday at 8 p.m.

Opinion polls show independent centrist Macron winning with about 62 percent of the vote, Reuters reported.

The Kremlin has denied it was behind any such attacks, even though Macron's camp renewed complaints against Russian media and a hackers' group operating in Ukraine.

Vitali Kremez, director of research with New York-based cyber intelligence firm Flashpoint, told Reuters his review indicates that APT 28, a group tied to the GRU, the Russian military intelligence directorate, was behind the leak. He cited similarities with U.S. election hacks that have been previously attributed to that group.

"If indeed driven by Moscow, this leak appears to be a significant escalation over the previous Russian operations aimed at the U.S. presidential election, expanding the approach and scope of effort from simple espionage efforts towards more direct attempts to sway the outcome," Kremez said.

On Friday night as the #Macronleaks hashtag buzzed around social media, Florian Philippot, deputy leader of the National Front, tweeted "Will Macronleaks teach us something that investigative journalism has deliberately killed?"

Macron spokesman Sylvain Fort, in a response on Twitter, called Philippot's tweet “vile.”

Buckingham Palace: Prince Philip will stop carrying out engagements this fall

5:14 a.m. ET: Buckingham Palace announced early Thursday that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, “will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year.”

>> Photos: Prince Philip through the years

His wife, Queen Elizabeth II, fully supports the decision and “will continue to carry out a full program of official engagements,” according to a royal news release.

The prince “will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August” and will continue to be a member of more than 780 organizations. 

>> Read the press release here

ORIGINAL STORY: A Buckingham Palace official has a message for social media users around the world: Calm down, Internet.

>> Photos: Queen Elizabeth II through the years

Daily Mail report that Queen Elizabeth II, 91, had called an "emergency meeting" of royal staff sparked rumors late Wednesday that the queen or her 95-year-old husband, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, had died.

>> Read more trending news

But an unnamed palace official told The Associated Press early Thursday that there's "no cause for concern." People magazine published a similar report, citing a "well-placed royal source."

The AP's source confirmed the meeting and said they are held occasionally.

Read more here or here.

Photos: Prince Philip through the years

Take a look at these memorable photos of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II.

FBI translator went rogue, secretly married ISIS leader, reports say

An FBI translator who was supposed to be investigating an Islamic State leader in Syria secretly married him in 2014, multiple news outlets are reporting.

According to CNN, 38-year-old Daniela Greene, then a German translator for the FBI's Detroit office, had top-secret security clearance while she was investigating Denis Cuspert, a German rapper who became a recruiter for the terrorist group in Syria. Cuspert reportedly threatened former President Barack Obama and held a severed head in an Islamic State video.

>> Watch the news report here

CBS News reported that in June 2014, six months into the probe, Greene told her superiors that she was taking a trip to Europe. Instead, she went to Syria to marry Cuspert, aka Deso Dogg and Abu Talha al-Almani, according to court documents.

Soon after the wedding, Greene had a change of heart and escaped to the United States, where she was arrested Aug. 8, CNN reported

"I was weak and didn't know how to handle anything anymore," she wrote in an email to an unnamed person before she left, according to CNN. "I really made a mess of things this time."

Greene, who pleaded guilty to "making false statements involving international terrorism," served two years in federal prison and was released in August 2016, CNN reported.

CBS News reported that "so far, she's declined to speak publicly about her case," which was sealed until May 2015.

>> Read more trending news

Greene, who was born in Czechoslovakia and lived in Germany before she came to the United States, attended Oklahoma's Cameron University and received a master's degree in history from Clemson University in South Carolina, according to CNN.

Read more here or here.

Don't be fooled by this viral Ivanka Trump photo

On Saturday, President Donald Trump invited Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte, a controversial figure, to the White House.

By Sunday, a picture of first daughter Ivanka Trump posing on a billboard for a Trump property in the Philippines went viral:

"Assistant to POTUS models in an ad for POTUS's new Tower in Mainla. President of Philippines just got WH invite," Peter Brack captioned the tweet, which appears to have been deleted.

>> Read more trending news

Accusations of a conflict of interest between American foreign relations and Trump’s businesses flew.

While Trumpmembers of his family and members of his administration have faced scrutiny for either blatant or seemingly indirect violations of the ethics laws set before presidential administrations, a spokesperson for the Trump Organization provided a statement to denounce the picture as old: “This is an old photo. The developer of Trump Tower in Manila has confirmed that this particular billboard was removed several years ago.”

The image appears to be an AFP photo from 2012.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >